Friday 15 October 2010

Film sequels that really disappointed

I have been reading in Empire magazine lately that a huge number of remakes are taking place. This is itself is quite a depressing thing but imagine when they start remaking the sequels!  That’s when film making could really take a turn for the worse.
This made me think of some of the sequels that have really felt like a humungous let down.
Some of you are going to read the title above and jump straight to the conclusion that I’m going to name check the standard scorned sequels here like either of the Matrix abominations or maybe the ill fated Highlander 2 – The quickening. Well OK, granted they are both good example but here are some of my biggest disappointments:

1)   Monsters Ball   - I loved the first one, Monsters Inc is a film I can watch with my son and we laugh. A lot. Monsters Ball not so much.
Don’t cry son, we’ll put Wall-E on.

2)   The Sure Thing – OK, first disappointment, Kurt Russell’s not in it. Maybe John Cusack will split in half any minute now and a big spider alien thing will wander off. No, two hours of romance and not even in a deserted ice station. Blah!

3)   Purple Rain – Where’s Whoopee? I’m after a bit more harrowing black oppression. Instead I have to put up with a mini gimp tossing around on a motorcycle looking shit....

4)   9 ½ Weeks – Fellini is a great director and I wondered how he was going to continue his semi autobiographical filmmaking after 8 ½. He didn’t, it was just 2 hours of Mickey Rourke banging Basinger....with fruit.

5)   Leaving Las Vegas – Hang on? Nic Cage is in it, he’s in Vegas. Here come those Elvis Impersonators. Oh no, wait a minute, he’s not on honeymoon. Just another 2 hours of misery and ponderings on suicide. I’ll get my coat....

No comments:

Post a Comment