Sunday 3 October 2010

I could be so good for you.....possibly

As I’m sat writing this, I have the theme tune to Minder playing in my head. You know the one. Denis Whatisname singing about being so good for you. I can’t get rid of it. Tried transplanting it with something by Muse or The King of Leon but it’s stuck. I mean seriously, Minder hasn’t been on telly for what, about 20 years? It wasn’t even that good.

Why then do I have it bouncing between my ears? What’s made me go almost crazy humming a dodgy 70’s tune? Is this the kind of crap that I carry around with me every day, torturing me whilst all useful nuggets of information leak out onto the cutting room floor of life?
It feels like nothing useful has gone in for years. If you put me on the spot however, I can probably tell you the difference between the theme tunes for Bewitched and I dream of Jeannie, or hum you the theme to Crown Court. I could at a push quote you a lyric or two to quite a few different tunes (probably not much past 2005 though – I am nearly pushing 40).
When asked a few years ago to name something that she liked about me, my ex-girlfriend paused in reflection for what seemed like a lifetime but was actually only about a minute. It shouldn’t take this long I thought bitterly. This had better be good when it finally arrives. The best she could come up with having taken this inappropriately long breath was simply this:
“You are really good at knowing the words to songs”. We only lasted a few weeks after that (I wonder why?)
My life is heading towards a crossroads. In the next few weeks or months I’ll be looking for a new job. Fate (and politics) has given me no choice in this. Do I carry on in a soulless IT environment or do I branch out into something new?
Trouble is I don’t think anyone’s looking for a human version of Shazam from the 80’s....

No comments:

Post a Comment