Tuesday 16 November 2010

These boots are made for working...

As Christmas approaches, looming large on the horizon like a debt filled iceberg heading for my Titanic of a bank account, I am starting to think about a second job. Something to allow my wife and I to buy the kids those presents that they will probably forsake for the cardboard box it came in about 28 seconds after opening them.
Thing is, I’ve never had a second job (some might argue I haven’t done the first one) and I don’t really know where to start. By day, I work in IT but I have no real appetite to continue that into an evening activity and have no desire to start my own business (my wife already has one of those – but more of that later).
So at the moment I’m left with pub/waiter/fast food type work or supermarket shelf filler/checkout boy.
All of the above I think include a great deal of hard work (especially around Christmas).
If pushed, I’ll do any of these but I’m wondering what else is out there. So, with about as much enthusiasm as a man waiting for a vasectomy outside a brick factory, I started trawling the internet. Here’s what I came up with:
Selling
Over the phone, usually selling something I myself wouldn’t care to buy.  Commission based and soul destroying. Mainly listening to either expletives or disinterest. (I should explain that whenever I get a phone cold caller phone me at home I put my 5 year old son on to them and he happily explains about Cbeebies until they hang up) No thanks.
Cleaning
I have enough trouble keeping myself clean. Not an option.
Promo work
When they say promo work, they mean trying to persuade tired looking parents that they would look great in photos with their vile children (usually pictures of them lying on the floor in white t-shirts), at great expense.
Party Organizer
This one sounds fun doesn’t it? Until you take into account that it’s selling stuff no one wants to your mates until they can barely look you in the face anymore. (Most of my mates would tell me where to stick a Virgin Vie candle).
WW Leader
WW stands for Weight Watchers. I believe it’s the opportunity to stand up and tell everyone that whilst you’ve not managed to follow the diet yourself last week, the people in front of you with low self confidence should really have done a lot better. OK, that I can do, but I think they normally look for women to do this? (Sexism alert!).

So, there we have it. Not great, but then maybe I’m not a great candidate. You can probably glean from this that I am lacking enthusiasm somewhat. What I like to do, what I enjoy doing is this. Writing, and I’ve not found a way to make that pay yet.
Finally, I come to one thing I do believe in. My wonderful wife has started a business selling cupcakes in Bristol and although I am biased, I am told by other people they are amazing. Her website is http://www.houseofcupcakesbristol.com/ and she is infinitely more talented and skilful (as well as kind and gracious). I have made it my goal to help her achieve her dreams of making it as successful as possible.   The picture below gives a an idea of how good they are, better I think than I can describe.

Maybe this blog will in some way help her. I hope so (then I can spend all day on the golf course!!!).

1 comment:

  1. I only wish you delivered to HUM!! They look stunning. I pointed out Ruth's site to SueyG who was similarly impressed - her sister does cakes and cupcakes in Chippenham too.... Good luck with them - but don't waste the time on the golf course! By the way what happens with you and the Audit commission being decommissioned??

    ReplyDelete